BHS condemns horse horror
JANUARY 2008: The British Horse Society (BHS) has condemned a Buckinghamshire horse establishment where more than 30 horses have been found dead.
The BHS - Britain's largest horse charity with a membership of more than 106,000 - voiced its support for the work of the horse rescue charities that resulted in the raiding of the yard in Amersham, from which around 80 surviving horses are currently being rescued.
Thirty-one horses were found dead at the site and three more have been subsequently humanely destroyed. It is likely to be some time before the full extent of the loss of horse life is known.
BHS Welfare Senior Executive Lee Hackett said: “The horse welfare community is deeply shocked by the extent of what has happened in Buckinghamshire. We wholeheartedly condemn any mistreatment of horses and ponies. Mistreatment on this scale is unprecedented in Britain - the true horror of the situation is only now becoming clear.
“The collaboration between welfare charities to rescue these horses has been fantastic. Clearly there needs to be a full inquiry into the circumstances behind this case. We must use these terrible events to make sure this kind of carnage never happens again.”
The British Horse Society condemns all mistreatment or neglect of horses and works tirelessly through a network of welfare officers to respond to reports of welfare concerns and provide education to horse-owners and the general public.
For more information, please contact: Lee Hackett, Welfare Senior Executive, on 07808 141007 (mobile) or 01926 707804.
- 1 Chicken coops - the dos and don’ts!
- 2 The benefits of the “no dig” bed system for veg growers
- 3 Smallholding for Beginners part 4: identifying (tagging) your sheep and goats
- 4 McDonald’s UK and The Prince’s Countryside Fund invite farmers to get Ready for Change
- 5 Proposed Hedgerow Carbon Code receives £81k funding
- 6 One-in-million quintuplet lambs born at Hartpury
- 7 What to grow in winter: sowing & harvesting winter veg
- 8 Would you like to have tea with Adam Henson?
- 9 Trade body’s wasp warning for farmers
- 10 How to: create the perfect chicken run