Meet a ‘tractor’ from yesteryear
- Credit: Archant
Ponies are well adapted to life on Exmoor
The Exmoor Pony Society has been safe-guarding the Exmoor pony in its natural habitat and on sites throughout the UK, Europe and North America since 1921.
Exmoor has been shaped by the ponies as much as Exmoor has shaped the ponies themselves. The breed is well known for its role in conservation grazing both returning and preserving sites to ensure that natural habitats survive. Equally, the ponies are well-adapted to cope with life on Exmoor.
Exmoor ponies were the modern tractors of yesteryear being used for herding, log-pulling, ploughing and collecting the groceries! Nowadays, their role is one of a riding pony and they can be seen in the show ring, show jumping, hunting, driving and on endurance rides to name but a few equestrian disciplines.
Each year the moorland herds are gathered into their respective farms in the autumn and a number of the foals, having been registered into the studbook, are sold or, through the Moorland Mousie Trust, allocated to conservation grazing site.
The Exmoor pony is recognised as a rare native breed by the Rare Breed Survival Trust and FAnGR and form part of the Higher Level Stewardship payments scheme.
If you would like to learn more about the Exmoor pony or are considering the use of ponies for conservation grazing sites then please contact the Exmoor Pony Society.
- 1 Chicken coops - the dos and don’ts!
- 2 The benefits of the “no dig” bed system for veg growers
- 3 How to: create the perfect chicken run
- 4 McDonald’s UK and The Prince’s Countryside Fund invite farmers to get Ready for Change
- 5 Smallholding for Beginners part 4: identifying (tagging) your sheep and goats
- 6 One-in-million quintuplet lambs born at Hartpury
- 7 Proposed Hedgerow Carbon Code receives £81k funding
- 8 How to spot tomato blight and what to do about it
- 9 Food writers targeted in a bid to alter Brits’ large egg obsession
- 10 Trade body’s wasp warning for farmers
MORE: Sue McGeever, Secretary, Exmoor Pony Society, Woodmans, Brithem Bottom, Cullompton, Devon
EX15 1NB Tel: 01884 839930 or 0845 607 5350 Email: email@example.com