Biosecurity for free-range poultry
PUBLISHED: 17:58 25 April 2014 | UPDATED: 21:08 29 April 2014
Common-sense measures which can be incorporated easily into your daily routine
- Keep feed under cover to minimise wild bird attraction.
- Keep water fresh and free of droppings.
- Keep waterfowl and chickens separate.
- Control vermin.
- Isolate new stock for 2-3 weeks.
- Isolate birds after taking to an exhibition for 7 days.
- Change clothes and wash boots before and after visiting other breeders.
- Change your clothes and wash boots thoroughly before and after attending a sale.
- Keep fresh disinfectant at the entrance to poultry areas for dipping footwear.
- Disinfect crates before and after use, especially if lent to others. However, it is preferable not to share equipment in the first instance.
- Disinfect vehicles which have been on poultry premises, but avoid taking vehicles onto other premises.
- Wash hands thoroughly before and after handling poultry.
- Comply with all import and export regulations and guidelines.