Celebrating a dozen years!
- Credit: Guy Harrop
With founder Jane Howorth
The British Hen Welfare Trust is entering its 12th year – something I could have only dreamed about when I founded the charity in 2005. We have achieved some monumental milestones, not least the re-homing of more than 550,000 ex-commercial hens!
Last year will be hard to beat – we re-homed our 500,000th hen, were Charity of the Year for the BVNA, I was awarded an MBE, and we were granted planning permission to build the UK’s first welfare and education centre. We are incredibly excited about the new centre, and are so grateful for the support of thousands of re-homers, volunteers and Your Chickens readers!
With a toast of thanks to all who have helped to make it happen – here’s to the next 12 years, and the millionth hen who will be given a home as a family pet in a few years’ time!
Time to get fit
Now that Christmas is over, and mince pies are a distant memory, it’s time to think about getting fit, so whilst you work up a sweat, make it fun and raise money for chickens! We know there are some crazy people out there who enjoy hiking up mountains or cycling for miles, and we have teamed up with Global Adventures Challenges to offer thrill-seekers something a bit, er, thrilling!
You can take part in a trek along the Great Wall of China, cycle from London to Paris and finish by watching the last stage of the Tour de France, or take part in TrekFest 2017 – the UK’s ultimate trekking experience. Just think of all those pennies for poultry you’ll be raising; wing it over to our website at www.bhwt.org.uk to find out more.
- 1 Chicken coops - the dos and don’ts!
- 2 The benefits of the “no dig” bed system for veg growers
- 3 Smallholding for Beginners part 4: identifying (tagging) your sheep and goats
- 4 McDonald’s UK and The Prince’s Countryside Fund invite farmers to get Ready for Change
- 5 Proposed Hedgerow Carbon Code receives £81k funding
- 6 One-in-million quintuplet lambs born at Hartpury
- 7 What to grow in winter: sowing & harvesting winter veg
- 8 Would you like to have tea with Adam Henson?
- 9 Trade body’s wasp warning for farmers
- 10 How to: create the perfect chicken run
Get flipping on Free Range Friday!
OK, so getting fit is one thing, but eating pancakes is another – it has to be done especially on Pancake Day – it’s the law (in my home anyway), and not everyone wants to fundraise by running a marathon!
Hold a Pancake Day themed Free Range Friday event (yes, we know Pancake Day is on Tuesday, but who cares when you have golden yumminess in front of you) and devour all manner of wonderful pancake creations for charity - free range eggs in the batter only of course! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and recipe suggestions.