Chickens must have their freedoms
Before starting to keep chickens you should be aware that legally, you have a duty of care to them to fulfil their needs. These needs are based on the five freedoms
1. Freedom from Hunger and Thirst - by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
2. Freedom from Discomfort - by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
3. Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease - by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
4. Freedom to Express Normal Behaviour - by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind.
5. Freedom from Fear and Distress - by ensuring conditions and treatment
which avoid mental suffering.
- 1 Chicken coops - the dos and don’ts!
- 2 Smallholding for beginners part 3: Which skills do I need to be successful>
- 3 Smallholding for Beginners part 4: identifying (tagging) your sheep and goats