Deep fried eggs with chicory and bacon
This recipe made it to the final of British Lion eggs’ ‘Eggs Factor’ competition and it’s a cracking contender! Serve with a crisp green salad for a summer feel all year round.
Preparation time: 10 mins.
Cooking time: 8 mins.
• 3 large eggs
• a little seasoned flour
- 1 Chicken coops - the dos and don’ts!
- 2 Smallholding for beginners part 3: Which skills do I need to be successful>
- 3 Smallholding for Beginners part 4: identifying (tagging) your sheep and goats
- 4 What to grow in winter: sowing & harvesting winter veg
- 5 The benefits of the “no dig” bed system for veg growers
- 6 Stakes are high with underinsured haystacks, warns farming expert
- 7 Wellness in Wellies weekend to raise money for farming charities
- 8 Smallholding for beginners - part 1
- 9 Charity launches appeal to assist female smallholders in Nepal
- 10 Proposed Hedgerow Carbon Code receives £81k funding
• 175g/6oz dried white bread crumbs
• oil for deep frying
• For the salad:
• 100g /4oz cubed pancetta
• 100g/4oz fresh peas
• 1 shallot, finely diced
• 1 head chicory leaf, shredded
• a handful of wild rocket leaves
• For the dressing:
• 1 raw British Lion egg yolk
• 1 sprig of thyme
• 30ml/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
• 60ml/4 tbsp olive oil
1. Place two of the eggs in a small pan and cover with cold water. Slowly bring to the boil, then simmer for 6 mins. Drain, cool in cold water, tapping the shells all over to peel away the shell.
2. While eggs cook, sauté the pancetta in a dry frying pan for 4 mins or until the fat has run and the pancetta is crisp. Blanch the peas in boiling water for 1 min, then drain and cool. Drain, then mix with the shallots, chicory leaves, rocket and pancetta.
3. Beat the remaining egg and pour into a shallow bowl. Place the flour and breadcrumbs on two separate plates. Roll the boiled eggs in the flour, then the beaten egg and finally the breadcrumbs. Repeat until both the eggs are thoroughly coated. Deep fry for 1-2 mins or until the crumbs are golden and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
4. Finally make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together. Divide the salad between two plates. Place the fried eggs in the centre of each then spoon a little dressing around the salad and plate of each. Serve straight away.