DESIGN YOUR DREAM COOP... & HAVE IT MADE!
- Credit: Archant
Here’s a fantastic opportunity to win a custom-built chicken house. Even better – you get to design it!
Your Chickens and Smiths Sectional Buildings, who make a wide range of high quality buildings for livestock, are inviting readers to come up with designs for the ideal coop. The design judged by experts to be the best will then be made by SSB and delivered to the designer and installed!
Five runners-up will receive a £50 voucher to spend on any SSB products or to redeem against their own design.
A spokesman for the company said: “There are no particular boundaries to the design; it can be for as few as two chickens or as many as 20. However, an integrated or an optional run would be preferable, and also the option of being able to move the chicken house.
“When designing the house, give consideration to design simplicity, ease of cleaning and easy maintenance, as well as the welfare of the birds. Dimensions should be on the drawing along with an explanation of any special features and how these will be fitted; for example how the nest boxes will be accessed, where any floors will slide out, and so on.
“It is not essential that timber and weldmesh sizes are on the drawing; it is sufficient to annotate it with basic information such as ‘cladding’, ‘framing’, ‘weldmesh’ and so on. However, if you would like a list of our standard material stock, please contact us and we can provide this for you.”
Entries should include a drawing, to scale if possible. Your Chickens will, of course, be featuring the winning design in the magazine – and some others judged to be runners-up.
- 1 Chicken coops - the dos and don’ts!
- 2 The benefits of the “no dig” bed system for veg growers
- 3 How to: create the perfect chicken run
- 4 McDonald’s UK and The Prince’s Countryside Fund invite farmers to get Ready for Change
- 5 Smallholding for Beginners part 4: identifying (tagging) your sheep and goats
- 6 One-in-million quintuplet lambs born at Hartpury
- 7 Proposed Hedgerow Carbon Code receives £81k funding
- 8 How to spot tomato blight and what to do about it
- 9 Food writers targeted in a bid to alter Brits’ large egg obsession
- 10 Trade body’s wasp warning for farmers
The judges will be an expert from SSB and Andy Cawthray, a Your Chickens writer and poultry expert who runs Chicken Street in Shropshire (www.chickenstreet.co.uk). Andy has a particular interest in chicken housing.
Smith Sectional Buildings, a small, friendly, family firm based in Shropshire, makes, delivers and installs buildings all over England and Wales. These include chicken houses, duck and goose houses, dog kennels, goat houses, field shelters, stabling and bespoke buildings made to customer requirements.