WIN one of two family season tickets to Great Comp Garden, Kent
- Credit: Archant
We’re giving away two family season tickets to Great Comp Garden, each worth £50
The seven acre Great Comp Garden in Kent is a real plants persons’ delight. The Garden hosts regular garden events throughout the year, including an innovative Hens & Gardens Show in June.
Hens & Gardens, Kent’s premier celebration of hen-keeping and smallholding will be held on Saturday 16 June at Great Comp Garden and will set out to show how for many, hens are as important as plants in the garden!
William Dyson, curator at Great Comp, near Sevenoaks, is a breeder of pure and rare-breed poultry and is particularly interested in promoting the old utility breeds.
He says: “The rare breeds provide you with productivity as well as beauty, and keeping good producers is why many people embrace the idea of smallholding in the first instance!”
William has gently built the reputation of his annual event ‘Hens & Gardens’ and now sees smallholders and hen-keepers from far and wide visiting the show in June.
He says: “I was struck by the idea that there wasn’t really an event that celebrated both the hen and the garden, so decided to create it here in our seven-acre haven at Great Comp Garden. With the help of well-known hen-keeping advocate Francine Raymond and the Kent Smallholders Group we really have a great event, now in its fourth year, which provides instructive advice as well as great products for those interested in hen-keeping.”
- 1 Chicken coops - the dos and don’ts!
- 2 Keeping livestock in winter: housing, shelter and feeding
- 3 The chicken breed guide: Hamburgh
- 4 Smallholding for Beginners part 4: identifying (tagging) your sheep and goats
- 5 Stakes are high with underinsured haystacks, warns farming expert
- 6 Keeping love alive in the countryside - take the survey!
- 7 Smallholding for beginners - part 1
- 8 Smallholding for beginners part 3: Which skills do I need to be successful>
- 9 What to grow in winter: sowing & harvesting winter veg
- 10 Wellness in Wellies weekend to raise money for farming charities
Advice will be offered at the annual event by Una McFarlane, a veterinarian who has a special interest in poultry medicine. Telegraph columnist Francine Raymond will also be giving a talk and presentation on hen-keeping in the home garden and will be selling signed copies of her new book The Garden Farmer.
For further information visit greatcompgarden.co.uk